How to Set Up Mac OS X
(10.0-10.1) for Dial-up Access
- From the Apple menu, choose System
- Click the Network icon located in the Internet
& Network section.
- Click the arrow box on the Show pop-up list
and choose Internal Modem.
- Click on the TCP/IP tab.
- Click the arrow box on the Configure pop-up
list and choose Using PPP.
- Leave the Domain Name Servers text box blank.
- Leave the Search Domains text box blank.
- Click on the PPP tab.
- In the Account Name field, type your username,
not like your email address.
(e.g. username = jamesbond
email address = firstname.lastname@example.org)
- In the Password field, type your password
- In the Telephone Number field, type the
local access number.
- Please check with your local telephone
company to make sure that the access number that
you are dialing is a local, toll-free call. We
assume no responsibility for local toll or long
distance charges incurred for the use of our
- When you enter the access number, type it
exactly as you would dial it from your home
- Do not include a 1 or the area code unless
you have to dial it to make a local call from
your home telephone.
- If you are dialing from a hotel, office, or
other phone system that requires you to dial a
digit such as 9 to get an outside line, insert
that number before the access number.
- To disable call waiting while using the
internet, insert the call waiting defeat code
(usually *70) before the access number. Note:
only insert this code if you have call waiting
on the line you will connect with. Check with
your phone company to determine the code to use
for your line.
- Check the box next to Save password.
- In the Alternate Number field, type another
- Click the PPP Options button.
- Check the box next to Connect automatically
when starting TCP/IP applications.
- Uncheck the box next to Prompt to stay
- Uncheck the box next to Disconnect if idle.
- Check the box next to Disconnect when user
- Click the OK button.
- Click on the Proxies tab.
- Uncheck all the boxes.
- Click on the Modem tab.
- Click the arrow box on the Modem pop-up list
and choose your modem (e.g. Apple Internal 56K
Modem (v.90) for Macs with built-in modems).
- Check the box next to Enable error correction
and compression in modem.
- Check the box next to Show modem status in
- Click the Apply Now button.
- Close the Network window.
You have now successfully finished your dial up